Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Prayer for a Journey
by Thomas Merton

One of my favorite prayers is Thomas Merton's Prayer for a Journey. The “journey” Thomas Merton refers to is, of course, the journey of life itself.
Merton's prayer is inspired and full of faith.

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me,
Nor do I really know myself,
And the fact that I think I am following your will
Does not mean I am actually doing so.

But I believe that the desire to please you
Does in fact please you.
And I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.

And I know that if I do this,
You will lead me by the right road
Though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore I will trust you always,
Though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me.
And you will not leave me to face my struggles alone.

Peace and love,
Pastor Garry White

No comments:

Post a Comment