Tuesday, October 27, 2009

As I continue to follow the controversy around the August decisions of Churchwide Assembly to ordain gay and lesbian people, I have become aware of several developments. First, there continue to be theological arguments advanced against the decision by traditional clergy and laity. As before CWA, I find myself nodding my head in agreement with the traditional arguments (see the Lutheran Forum and Lutherans Persisting web sites for details of these arguments. Second, the ELCA leadership seems to have been largely unresponsive to the traditionalists' concerns, as if hoping that the dissident voices will quiet down or even go away. The primary things that I have seen voiced by the ELCA since Churchwide Assembly have been (1) a call for unity in the face of the theological divide over interpretation and role of scripture and tradition, and (2) a plea to congregations to continue to send money to support ELCA ministries.

With regard to both the ELCA's call to unity and plea to continue financial support, I sincerely hope that the ELCA survives this crisis. Whatever happens to congregational funding to synods and the national church, many of the ELCA's ministries clearly are continuing, and contingency planning is being done as well. However, the traditional voice seems to be gaining in volume, organization, and clarity, and I doubt that the ELCA will survive in its present size and scope.

At the present moment, I have no plans to leave the ELCA, instead taking my stand with those who argue and pray in love for a return to a reliance on scripture and the tradition of the larger Church. Pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment