Thursday, October 29, 2009

Distractions from God

This blog began with an intended emphasis on discussions of aspects of Christian spirituality. As I look back on the last several entries, however, I find that I have been caught up in the politics and doctrinal changes within my own denomination. Despite my original intentions for starting this blog, I was distracted from my purpose.

Distractions from our original priorities are commonplace. Distractions are noted many times in scripture -- distractions from God caused by sin (Adam and Eve), by wealth (the Rich Young Ruler), by power (Saul). We can be distracted from God by church politics, as I was, or even by arguments about the proper way to interpret scripture itself.

Franciscan Richard Rohr has noted that -- if Jesus can be said to have a doctrine -- His doctrine was one of non-idolatry. He knew how easily we are distracted from what is Real.

As a Benedictine might say, "We fall, we get up. We fall, we get up."

It is time, then, to refocus. Next time: lectio divina.

God's Peace be yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment